Search This Blog

Sunday, January 19, 2020

From "Paperback Albums" to Prestige Music: Vinyl In The 21st Century


In the 21st Century, enjoyment of vinyl is problematic. First, there’s the money - at least $500 for a “decent” turntable, $200 (at a minimum) for an “acceptable” cartridge – “decent” and “acceptable” as defined by so-called audiophiles. And the funny thing with these cartridges is that their replacement styli cost about as much as the cartridges themselves. Add to that $25-$30 per album, and the cost of music on vinyl adds up.

Then there’s the “set up.” Vertical Tracking Alignment, Anti-Skating setting, tracking force (it must be low), stylus type – listening to a record is not a simple as getting a turntable, putting a record on the platter, and enjoying the music. Or is it?


I've got my old pioneer turntable, and two other "vintage" (meaning 1970s) turntables that I use from time to time, with my $30 Numark or my old Shure M44E cartridge. If I can’t enjoy the sound of vinyl that way, I'm all in with digital formats. At least they don’t require me to get a degree in electrical engineering or physics to enjoy the sound.


When The Beatles launched Zapple Records in 1969, John Lennon touted the label’s forthcoming release of “paperback albums.” 50 years later vinyl seems to be a "prestige” format. If so, it’s best left for aesthetes, not music lovers.

No comments: